In a shocking incident, a teen from Mumbai’s Dharavi slum area died after brushing teeth with rat poison unknowingly. The deceased was identified as 18-year-old Apsana Khan. As per Mumbai police, the incident took place at around 10 am on September 3.
On the fateful day of Sunday morning, the girl still drowsy from her night’s sleep unwittingly picked up a tube of rat poison cream kept beside the toothpaste and brushed her teeth with the killer chemical paste. “We learnt that rat poison paste was kept near the toothpaste, so she accidentally used it to brush her teeth,” said an officer adding, “While brushing she realised that she has not used the toothpaste due to which she washed her mouth immediately.”
However, soon after she realised her mistake and spitted out the poison paste and washed her mouth. But this started affecting her health and she got dizzy. Initially, she did not inform her family about the incident fearing a scolding and this worsened the situation.
Later after complaining of stomach ache her mother took her to a nearby hospital in Dharavi and got her medicines. “Despite taking medicines, the girl kept complaining of stomach ache for three days after which her mother took her in confidence and inquired with her, when she told her that she accidentally used rat poison paste for toothpaste on September 3,” a police officer said.
Subsequently, the girl was admitted to Sion hospital and as there was no improvement in her health she was shifted to a private hospital. “After changing three other hospitals, she was admitted at JJ hospital at 6 am on Sunday,” said the police sub-inspector.
But despite the best efforts the girl succumbed at the hospital late on Sunday, said police. The doctors in the report have mentioned that the girl died due to poisoning. Police have registered a case of accidental death report in the matter.